Monday, February 08, 2010

A story worth hearing

When someone who has battled cancer for their entire life says there's no point in being unhappy then you should listen.
When they are just 18 you can't help but pay attention.
I have to say I was taken aback by the story of Samuel Symons, which was told tonight on Australian Story on the ABC.
The story told by the teenage son of well known musician and TV personality Red Symons should serve as a wake up call to us all. Don't take life for granted and enjoy what you are given.
He said he has no time for death and never will and added that by being unhappy you are preventing yourself from living.
I won't go into his details, I'm sure they'll be well published in the coming days - if they haven't already.
But I will say that I did get a little teary-eyed near the end, such was the power of his story, his words, his courage and his outlook.
We all see Red Symons as a funny, if brutally abrupt, person largely from his years on Hey Hey It's Saturday. It's amazing that he was able to perform a comedy show while his son was battling cancers at such a young age (Hey Hey finished in 1999 or thereabouts).
If you missed this episode of Australian Story try and catch a repeat. It's worth 30 minutes of your time, believe me.

No comments: