Wednesday, February 03, 2010

The decade the music died

I've been trying to come up with the number of CDs I bought last year and I can think of a total of seven.
They are Mariah Carey's Memoirs Of An Imperfect Angel, John Mayer's Battle Studies, Rascal Flatts' Unstoppable, The Script's self-titled album and U2's No Line On The Horizon. Plus two CDs by Ryan Adams that were released in 2001 and 2004.
Probably as recently as five years ago I'd buy maybe 20 CD's a year but I think it's a reflection of the lack of really great music around these days that I haven't bought much at all.
I have got the odd free one from work here and there and there has been the occasional surprise but on the whole, unless it is a new CD from an artist I already like and have a collection of, music has entered a new decade for the worst.
I'm convinced that the 2000s, the Noughties as some call them, was the decade the music died.
We've been over run by dance and hip-hop crap which all sounds the same, nonsensical lyrics and forgettable songs.
When I look at the top 50 singles, which I used to do on a regular basis, I see few songs that I like and quite a lot that I've never heard of (and when the artist has dollar signs or exclamation marks in their name that doesn't attract me to listen).
The sad thing is that some of the better music I have heard lately has been country music and that's scary because I've spent more than half my life declaring I hate it so either I'm getting old and soft or country is getting better (therefore pop/rock is getting worse).
So far in 2010 I'm looking forward to getting the new Lifehouse album Smoke & Mirrors which comes out in March. And Mariah is releasing a remix album of her last CD and given its pedestrian nature (aside from a few crackers) I don't hold out much hope for it.
By the way, I'm not saying there hasn't been great music in the 2000s because there has been a heap of it. I'm arguing that in the last few years the quality has dropped off alarmingly and if it wasn't for Pink, who continues to surprise me, pop/rock music would hardly get a look in.

No comments: