Sunday, August 10, 2008

It's Not About the Bike, part 1

I'm about two-thirds of the way through Lance Armstrong's account of his battle with cancer and I couldn't wait to finish it before writing about it.
The book, It's Not About the Bike, came out a number of years ago and I reckon I've had it for at least eight years and hadn't read it until now.
I'm sure everyone knows Armstrong's background as a champion cyclist before his diagnosis of testicular cancer. And his feats after recovery, including winning the gruelling Tour de France, have also been well documented.
But I wasn't aware at all of what he went through.
The book is riveting, an amazing story of courage, but it is also highly disturbing and unsettling. Reading his record of how he fell ill and was subsequently diagnosed with stage 3 cancer (the worst kind) it is hard not to get emotionally involved yourself.
It's very fortunate that he had a strong upbringing from his mother and had plenty of fight in him because just reading about the tests, surgeries and the chemotherapy was very hard work.
(I realise actually having to go through them is much, much harder work in fact something I don't think I can fathom so don't think I am making light of it).
I remember thinking that there was no way I could be strong enough emotionally, let alone physically, to get through the chemo but his attitude was unbelievable.
I guess that when you are faced with the choice between fighting or dying you fight and fight as hard as you can.
I'm not yet finished the book but I do think I have passed the hard part - I hope at least. Reading something like this raises your awareness of such things and, while this is probably more information that you need to know, I have made much more of a habit of checking myself out regularly. I'd encourage the guys out there to do the same.

No comments: