Saturday, May 27, 2006

X-Men 3:The Last Stand

But is it the final stand? The third X-Men film perhaps suffered a bit from having to follow X-Men 2, which was, as I recall, voted the best comic book adaptation of all time by Empire magazine. So they were really on a hiding to nothing. Having said that it wasn't a bad film just not as engrossing as its predecessor. Killing off, or de-mutating in some cases, some major characters is a big move but with so much to draw from within the comics it's not a bad move.
I went in expecting Jean Grey's transformation into the Phoenix to be something special but I found it a shade ho-hum. She wasn't bad but she just, ironically, lacked animation. She did more standing around and being talked about than anything else.
Whether there's another X-Men movie remains to be seen. I'd say there probably will be, knowing what Hollywood is like - a sequal is a lot easier to come up with than an original idea. I gave it a 7.5 out of 10 which pales in comparison to the 9 out of 10 X-Men 2 received. It's now about three months since I've seen a 9 out of 10 (this year both Brokeback Mountain and Capote received that honour) and it's not looking good for the rest of the year.

1 comment:

Craig Schwarze said...

Great review Ray. Totally agree that Phoenix was a disappointment. They certainly took the axe to the cast as well!

Some pretty cliched lines too. But other stuff that I liked.

For my money, SpiderMan 2 is the best comicbook adaptation of all time...