Monday, May 29, 2006

Indescribable

Ok, so last night at CITM we rounded off our Building God's People series with a slightly long (hi Dominic!) but not boring sermon on Sacrifice, following on from Faith, Service, Purpose and Commitment. I'll admit I was expecting a slightly Hillsong-esque talk telling people if you give more God will give more back to you, etc etc. I was later informed by someone who spent some time at Hillsong that he didn't ever hear such a talk there. Perhaps they've got a bum wrap. Still if you publish a Christian book called `You Need More Money', I think it was called, you can get misunderstood. Anyway, I feel for the people out there who haven't locked in their gift to the church yet. It's a big decision and not one I took lightly but I'm glad that's over.
Cutting to the chase a bit, the last sentence of 2 Corinthians 9 struck me - being thankful to God for his indescribable gift. I'm not going to try and describe the gift - I think if you know the grace of God you know what we're talking about.
Another thing it made me think of was a song, sung by Chris Tomlin (great singer) and written by Laura Story, called Indescribable. I was secretly hoping it would be played after our service last night but realise that was a huge longshot. I came across it on FM103.2 a while back but every time I heard it there'd be another song and I wouldn't hear who sung it. I eventually tracked it down and play it probably once a day on average.
Here's a few words from the final chorus...
`Indescribable, uncontainable
You placed the stars in the sky and you know them by name
You are amazing, God
Incomparable, unchangeable
You see the depths of my heart and you love me the same
You are amazing, God'

No comments: