Sunday, September 23, 2007

Ten Songs About Love - the review

It's all about the deepest and most honest emotion - love.
Easily my most anticipated album of the year, Eran James delivers the goods - and then some.
While the album title Ten Songs About Love is slightly misleading - there are 12 songs on the CD - there is nothing misleading about what you're supposed to feel listening to it.
For the uninitiated, Eran James is just 18. However, he possesses, in my opinion, the most amazing voice. Soulful, spiritual, warm and classy, it's just hard to believe the sound you hear comes from someone so young.
I loved his first album, Reviewing The Situation, which was largely covers and a couple of original songs and really was unpolished. Perhaps that was the intention because it showcased that voice. I still liked it, but the follow up is 100 times better.
The single Touched By Love is an awesome song, as I commented a while back, but the CD opens with the beautiful Halo (I could be wrong but this really appears like a tribute to his mother, who died during the making of the album, and if so it is heartbreaking and beautiful at the same time).
There's less of the jazzy stylings of the first album here, it's just been wound back a notch in that respect but this doesn't make the music any less classy.
My favourite tracks are Halo, Touched By Love, You Know When It Feels Right, I Still Do, Ten Songs About Love, and the sensational closer The World At Your Feet.
This guy just blows me away. Such a positive vibe from the words and the music is a change from the pop production line we get too much of these days.
I could go on and on and on, this is one of the albums of the year. If you're curious check him out, you won't be disappointed.

No comments: