Thursday, August 30, 2007

The new Delta

I have to admit to a soft spot for Delta Goodrem not because of the cancer battle but more because I found her very appealing both musically and, shall we say, superficially. Actually, not so superficially because that's exactly what I'm about to decry.
I found her appealing because she had the wholesome, girl you'd take home to mum look about her. And I like that very much.
So it was with some concern I heard of the impending return of the `sexier Delta', knowing that when previous girls next door changed their image they both looked worse, in my view, and appeared to sell less if not immediately but eventually. (Recent examples are Britney Spears and Mariah Carey).
Anyway, Delta is back with a new song called In This Life which sounds pretty good I must say. However, I have never had a problem with her songs - even the last album Mistaken Identity was excellent and contained several cracking songs. I was initially concerned by her sexy photo shoot for Cosmo, which was shown in the paper last weekend, as I thought she was far too heavily made up (I don't claim to be an expert but i know what I like) and looked like a poor rip off of Faith Hill who was photographed with a similar look to the above photo but managed to appear much classier.
When I saw Delta on Enough Rope earlier in the week my concerns were lessened slightly but we'll just have to see what image is put out there when the single and album are released.
Suddenly `discovering' your sexy side isn't going to suddenly make people go crazy for her again, if I were her publicist I'd be looking back at Innocent Eyes and rediscovering classic Delta. But that's just me.

No comments: