Monday, June 21, 2010

Sandown excursion

Another excellent trip south of the border wrapped up yesterday, this time the aim was to see some of the controversial hurdle racing.
Now, I love the jumps. But there are some people who think it is cruel or whatever and I am not going to debate the pros and cons of it here, or anywhere for that matter.
That is my view and it is not going to change regardless of what any anti-jumps campaigner will say or chant.
After the plane got me to Melbourne 30 minutes later than anticipated I was on the hop a bit for the rest of the day as I tried to do everything I had planned.
Friday night I was at the Gertrude Hotel in Melbourne, just off Brunswick Street. It was a fairly nice pub where there was a lot of talk about the soccer and the AFL.
Being a bit early, I sat there and observed a bit before my friends arrived.
On Saturday I caught a train to Sandown racecourse, which was about a 40 minute ride.
Being a big fan of the jumps racing I was keen to see two horses in particular - the champion 'chaser Mazzacano and the up and coming star Black And Bent.
Unfortunately the champ was off his game and didn't feature but the new star certainly proved himself with a huge win in the Australian Hurdle.
There was a reasonable crowd on hand and it was great to not be the only one applauding as he careered away from the pack in the home straight. In fact, there was quite a reception for Black And Bent (pictured).
The weather was a lot milder than I had expected and planned for (which is a good thing) and this time there were no hailstorms!
Melbourne is a great place to visit, but I don't know if I'd want to live there.

No comments: