Thursday, June 03, 2010

Retro week

I had a fairly good time away but it did feel a bit like retro week at times.
On Sunday I went tenpin bowling at the old centre I used to go to when I was in high school - there's a swanky new one in town but I think proximity dictated where we went in the end.
I bowled two games with a very competitive eight-year-old who didn't really get the fact that him getting 82 to my 117 was a pretty good effort.
Later that day I was flicking channels and came across two classic films from the 80s. The first was Girls Just Want To Have Fun starring Sarah Jessica Parker, Helen Hunt, Shannen Doherty and Johnathan Silverman. I had this weird experience while watching parts of it because for some reason I knew the lines coming up even though I wouldn't have seen that film for 20 years at least.
Then came the Mel Brooks classic Spaceballs. Now this was a time, for those Gen-Y people, when parodies of films were done with class and tongue in cheek. It's a send up of Star Wars essentially and it's pretty funny even today.
A few days ago I played bingo to continue my retro week. I even won something! For such a simple game it can be very frustrating but it was a bit of a laugh overall.
Then to finish off was good old Hey Hey It's Saturday (on a Wednesday night). Talk about flashbacks, used to watch it religiously at home on an early Saturday evening.

No comments: