Sunday, July 19, 2009

Raising the bar

While flicking channels during dinner I couldn't help but keep an eye on the Oz top 50 countdown that was happening on one of the music channels.
The impact of Michael Jackson is still being felt. At one stage there, in the low 20s, he had four out of five songs that were played while I was watching. The likes of Bad, You Are Not Alone, Heal The World and Beat It - all these songs ranging in age from 27 years to 14 years.
I wonder, actually I hope moreso, whether these songs regaining popularity will lead to the bar being raised for music these days.
We have far too many artists taking the easy way with cheekily vulgar songs or so called R&B, too many of the likes of Lily Allen, Lady Gaga, heck they all seem the same to me.
There used to be a time that I'd almost religiously watch the music video shows on the weekend and I'd like the large majority of songs. Now I look at the charts and can count the number of songs I like with my two hands - with the exception of the last couple of weeks with the Jackson influence.
I used to buy a CD a week almost. Now I might buy one a month, or maybe average 1.5 a month.
I hate it how some artists feel they need to copy the trashy, unappealing young girls, I fear that the new Mariah Carey CD will continue the trend of her having a few good songs and a heap of throwaway songs. I read that they were trying to create a greatest hits CD with new songs and while that is a high bar to set maybe they should first look at her hit list - great songs that didn't need sex to sell them. She should be paying more attention to singers like Pink and realising you don't need to undress to have attitude. Great songs speak for themselves.

No comments: