Sunday, December 29, 2013

A new me in 2014

We all make meaningless resolutions around New Year's and I sincerely hope that this doesn't fall into that category.
Things are going to change for me in 2014.
I am making a concerted effort to live a healthier lifestyle, not just physically but overall.
I have set a goal of losing 5kg by my birthday, which is three months away, and I think that is an achievable goal. Ideally that number should be closer to 10 but I want to be realistic given the trepidation I have had about weight loss in recent years (and that is a completely different story).
So somewhere between those two numbers would be great, it would make me feel a bit more comfortable and give me encouragement.
To do this I must commit to the gym. I don't for a second think that I could become what society sees as 'buff' but the only way is up, really.
To make this change I must take a different approach to food and exercise.
Eat less, move more. It is a simple philosophy. I don't think I need to eat too much less, though, it is more what I am eating. So I am changing what I eat, ditching snacks like biscuits, and making fruit my friend.
To be realistic I will allow myself the occasional indulgence, such as dinner with the guys once a week.
It's not because I am closing on 40, which isn't next year by the way, but I do realise that as you get older you need to look after yourself more.
I also vow to enjoy myself, instead of feeling bad when I do things I perceive as bad for me. I know that it is fun, and I enjoy it for the most part.
No empty promises here, this is something that has to happen.
Wish me luck!

No comments: