Sunday, September 08, 2013

It's all about choice

During my weekend away it occurred to me that I quite often make poor choices.
And having given it a little thought I have decided that I might have stumbled upon the meaning of life.
It has nothing to do with higher powers, not that I don't believe there is one, making contributions or good deeds, being a 'better person' or anything like that.
It's all about choice.
Now I know it is not a very well thought out argument and it is sure to be easily dismissed. But think about it.
Everything we do comes down to what we choose.
It's a little like one of those 'choose your own adventure' books you used to read as a kid. You reach a point in the story then you have to make a choice and that choice then leads in a certain direction and set of consequences.
Do you believe in fate or destiny? You should, because you are largely in control of that.
I don't buy the 'Sliding Doors' example so much because that allows too many 'what ifs' to come into the equation.
As I said I have developed a habit of making some poor choices. I know they are poor choices because of the way I feel afterwards. When you learn a lesson it is quite often done the hard way, come at some cost.
So given that I am responsible for my choices, and that means you are responsible for yours, then I only have myself to blame.
I concede it is a short sighted argument in some ways but it also makes a bit of sense. If I choose to gamble I should accept that I could lose, if I lose and choose to gamble more.....you get the idea.
It goes with all sorts of things, who you choose to associate with, what job you choose, who you choose to love, who you choose to sleep with, what you choose to believe, how you choose to live, what you choose to do with your time, what you choose to do with your money, etc.
For me, I have to start making choices conducive to a better life.
It means I have to commit to making sensible decisions about things like gambling, to ensure my lifestyle is healthy and limit the distractions from the responsibilities I have.
To have fun too.
I don't think it's about finding whatever you see as happiness. That's a flowery, somewhat indescribable, aim that never seems achievable. 
I think if you can be content with the choices you make then you're on the right track.
After all, isn't that what Dr Brown said at the end of the Back To The Future trilogy? 'Your future isn't written yet, no ones is. The future is what you make of it, so make yours a good one'.....
Surely that is the meaning of life, right?

No comments: