Sunday, September 11, 2011

Ten years ago

Just like most people, I'm acutely aware of what I was doing 10 years ago when the world changed.
It wasn't anything particularly important, so I thought. I was with a friend and we were watching my appearance on Wheel Of Fortune, that he had missed, having spent the earlier part of the evening listening to a talk on 'Significant events of our time'. True.
How could we have known that easily the most significant event of our generation, and I'd say a few before us, was about to unfold before our eyes.
Half way through an episode of Wheel my friend received a phone call - 'turn on the TV' was the message. We didn't turn it off for hours.
Part of me wanted to rush into the newsroom to watch it unfold but, of course, you couldn't look away and a 40 minute drive wasn't going to happen.
I still don't know how I feel about the whole event even 10 years later. It has been called 'The Day Reality Changed Forever'. Certainly the world is not the same place. People feel less safe, like there is always something around the corner waiting to strike again.
I sincerely hope nothing strikes.
I'm afraid of a number of things but I can't imagine what was going through the minds of the people stuck in the towers - some of whom chose to jump out of windows - and if they even got a chance to comprehend what was happening.
I hope I never see such a callous act of inhumanity again.

1 comment:

Brant W. Fowler said...

I too remember that day all too well. We were at my aunt's and couldn't take our eyes away from the scenes either. Everything in me wanted to hop on the road to head up north to help, but I didn't have a way.

When we finally went home that night someone had broken the sun roof of my non-working car and stolen the front seat of all things. I remember thinking how pathetic an act like that was given the gravity of what was going on in the world on that tragic day.

It did indeed change the world as we know it, and it doesn't feel as safe anymore. Maybe it was a wake-up call we needed, but I sincerely wish it didn't have to come at such a high price.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all those that lost someone in the attacks, to all of us in the states that felt this all too close to home, and to everyone in the world that was affected by this terrible event.